Hot Chocolate Dip is a delicious and easy-to-make treat that is great for any party. It features all the flavors of your favorite hot chocolate in a smooth and creamy dessert dip. Serve it with cookies or fruit, and watch everyone dig in.
When it's cold outside, there's nothing quite as comforting as a cup of hot chocolate. Imagine that same chocolate flavor turned into a dip that goes well with marshmallows, fruit, cookies, and pretzels.
We always keep hot chocolate packets on hand during winter, but one year I used them to make a fun hot chocolate dessert. A few we made: frozen hot chocolate, peppermint chocolate granola bars, and hot chocolate fudge.
But my personal favorite was this hot chocolate dip. This recipe was very popular that year and got great reviews from millions of readers, and it still does every year. Fans everywhere love the taste of hot chocolate combined with cream cheese, whipped cream, and marshmallow fluff. Plus, there is something special about a dessert dip!
Why You Will Love Hot Chocolate Dip with Cream Cheese
The chocolate cocoa dip is creamy and tastes like our favorite hot chocolate cheesecake. Serving and eating is easier, so the dip will disappear quicker. Get ready to take your favorite snacks to the next level.
This spoon-worthy sweet treat is perfect for parties or satisfying sweet cravings during the holiday season.
- Easy to make. The best part about this hot cocoa dip is that it is ready in just a few minutes.
- It's fun to dip all the things. It tastes fantastic on just about any fresh fruit or cookie you can think of. Set up a yummy dip bar with everything you like, and then have fun.
- Great snack for parties. The hot chocolate dip is a great addition to your next party. It's perfect for winter gatherings, movie nights, or just treating yourself.
Ingredients You'll Need
This easy hot chocolate dip recipe comes together in minutes with just a few ingredients. It's sweet, creamy, and delicious with cookies, sweet crackers, or fruit.
- Cream Cheese - Make sure to set it out beforehand because softened cream cheese is easier to beat.
- Greek Yogurt - Adds a slight tang to the no-bake dessert dip.
- Marshmallow Creme - Sweetens the dip and adds a smooth, fluffy texture. Find it in the baking aisle of most grocery stores near the marshmallows.
- Instant Hot Chocolate Mix - The powdered mix gives it the chocolate flavor. I used a Swiss Miss dark chocolate mix for a richer flavor, but any brand will work.
- Cool Whip - This will make it creamy and fluffy. Remember to thaw it ahead of time. You can also make it from scratch if you prefer that instead.
- Mini Marshmallows and Peppermint Bits - Extra toppings make it fun and delicious.
How To Make Hot Chocolate Dip
This hot chocolate cheesecake dip is incredibly easy to make. You can have it mixed and ready to devour in just 5 minutes. And it's even easier to eat. Trust me, this easy holiday dessert will disappear before you know it!
- Beat the cream cheese, yogurt, and marshmallow fluff in a large mixing bowl until light and creamy.
- Add the dry powdered hot cocoa mix and mix again until dissolved and creamy.
- Fold in a little bit of the whipped topping very gently.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Before digging in, add a swirl of Cool Whip, marshmallow bits, and peppermint candies.
If there is any leftover dip, cover it with plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container. Place it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. It's delicious straight from the fridge or at room temperature.
What to Serve With Hot Cocoa Dip
There are so many possibilities for dippers to dunk in this creamy chocolate dip recipe. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Cookies - chocolate chipper cookies, chocolate graham crackers, Oreos, animal crackers, vanilla wafers
- Pretzels - waffles, sticks, thins, chocolate covered pretzels, peppermint bark pretzels
- Marshmallows - large, holiday shapes, peppermint, or marshmallow snowman
- Fruit - strawberries, raspberries, bananas, oranges
- Dessert Charcuterie Board - Arrange small dip bowls on a large tray, then surround them with your favorite dippers.
Tips and Tricks
- Soften the cream cheese. It's easier to beat and mix in the other ingredients, so set it out beforehand.
- Mix slowly. Avoid mixing at high speed to prevent a mess with hot cocoa powder.
- Add peppermint extract. To give it a Christmas flair for holiday parties, add ½ teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Add a fun garnish. Sprinkle the top of the light and fluffy dip with crushed candy canes, mini M&M candies, mini chocolate chips, or chocolate curls.
- Serve it in a fun serving bowl. Use a brightly colored holiday bowl or place it in a large coffee mug so it stands out on the dessert table.
- Make a dessert charcuterie board. Spoon the dip into 2-3 small bowls, then place them on a large tray. Arrange fruit, crackers, cookies, marshmallows, and pretzels around the bowls.
Yes. This is a great dessert that can be made ahead of time. Keep the finished chocolate dip in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Add any garnishes right before serving.
The creamy chocolate dip will last 3-4 days if refrigerated properly. Stir it well before serving.
I don't recommend freezing this dip as the texture changes when it thaws. It's best to make it a day or two ahead of time so it looks and tastes the best.
More Sweet Dessert Dips
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first published in December 2014. It was updated and then republished in December 2023.