These Tiramisu Brownies feature layers of chocolate, coffee-soaked cookies, and creamy pudding. It has all the flavors of the classic Italian dessert in an easy-to-serve bar. Enjoy a quick coffee fix with this delicious treat.
Then, a few years ago, I paired the creamy pudding and coffee-soaked cookies with a pan of brownies. Truly one of the best ideas of my life! The coffee lovers in your life will love this dessert mashup.
What are Tiramisu Brownies?
Tiramisu brownies are a delicious combination of two timeless desserts. The rich chocolate brownie base is topped with two layers of silky smooth filling and a layer of coffee-soaked cookies.
The dessert resembles tiramisu but surprises everyone with the chocolate crust. Once you try them, you'll want to make these coffee brownies repeatedly!
Why Make This Brownie Tiramisu
This is one of our favorite desserts for a reason! This brownie tiramisu recipe is always a hit, thanks to the classic combination of chocolate and coffee. Plus, it is so beautiful!
- Easy to make. You can easily make these creamy tiramisu brownies using a boxed mix and simple ingredients like instant coffee and pudding.
- A fun mashup of flavors. The cream cheese filling complements the chocolate brownies, resulting in a delicious texture contrast that pairs well with coffee and cookies.
- Perfect for parties. Your friends will be surprised when you bring these delicious treats instead of plain brownies. Plus, they can be made a day ahead for easy serving!
You'll love it when you realize how few ingredients you need to make these homemade chocolatey brownies!
- Boxed Brownie Mix - Choose your favorite brand of boxed brownies. Any type will work, or make homemade brownies in a 9x13 pan.
- Milk - Use 2% or full-fat milk for the best pudding texture.
- Instant Coffee - This will add a strong coffee flavor to the cookie pieces. However, espresso powder works great, too.
- Cheesecake Pudding Mix - Buy the instant pudding mix because the cook-and-serve will not set up properly.
- Cream Cheese - Soften the cream cheese ahead of time to make it light and fluffy. Feel free to use creamy mascarpone cheese instead.
- Sour Cream - Adds a rich creaminess to the cream cheese.
- Cool Whip - Thaw ahead of time in the fridge. Stir half into the creamy layer and spread the other half on top.
- Stella D'oro Cookies - These traditional Italian cookies have a hard, crunchy texture that absorbs the coffee. Feel free to use the biscuits or the Margherite fingers. You can usually find them in the cookie or pasta aisle of most grocery stores.
- Cocoa Powder - Add a dusting of cocoa powder at the end for a classic tiramisu look.
How to Make Tiramisu Brownies
This tiramisu brownie recipe is a dream for coffee lovers and comes together quickly with these simple steps!
- Bake brownie batter in a prepared baking pan according to the package directions. Let them cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl, dissolve instant coffee in slightly warm milk. Whisk in the dry pudding mix and then set aside.
- Beat the cream cheese in a separate medium bowl until creamy. Add the sour cream and beat again on low speed. Gently stir in the pudding mix and half the Cool Whip.
- Spread half of the pudding mixture over the top of the brownie layer. Lay the cookie chunks on top of the creamy filling.
- In a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in hot water and then slowly drizzle it over the cookie chunks. Let the coffee soak into the lady fingers.
- Gently spread the rest of the pudding mixture on top of the cookies because you do not want to disturb them. Top with the remaining Cool Whip, then refrigerate until time to serve. Dust with cocoa powder right before serving.
In the Refrigerator - Store the leftover brownies in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. After that, the creamy filling will become soft and make the brownie layer soggy.
In the Freezer - You can also freeze the leftover brownies. Be sure to store them in a freezer-safe container. Allow them to thaw in the fridge before serving.
Tips and Tricks
- Work ahead. You can easily make the parts for this dessert at different times, making it convenient for parties or busy events! Bake the brownies the day before to give them plenty of time to cool.
- Cool the bars completely. Although there's nothing like a warm brownie, the heat will cause the creamy filling to melt and collapse. For best results, ensure the brownies are at room temperature before layering.
- Use cold coffee. Instead of the coffee powder, feel free to use equal parts cold, strong coffee or espresso.
- Prepare the pan. Grease and flour the pan, or use parchment paper to remove the entire dessert easily.
- Chill before serving. This dessert needs time for the layers to set up and for the flavors to deepen.
- Slice cleanly. Dip a sharp knife in hot water and then wipe dry. Make a cut, then repeat the process.
- Doctor the brownie mix - Add texture and extra flavor by adding mini chocolate chips or a tablespoon of instant coffee granules.
- Use real mascarpone cheese - Replace the cream cheese with mascarpone cream to give this easy dessert a more authentic flavor.
- Add alcohol - Add a splash of Marsala wine, coffee liqueur, or Grand Marnier to the creamy layer for an adult dessert.
- Can't find ladyfingers? Use a sliced vanilla pound cake instead.
When making this recipe, you can use either vanilla, French vanilla, or white chocolate pudding mix. However, make sure that you buy the instant variety.
Yes, this dessert is actually better when it has time to set up. For best results, chill the dessert for at least 4 hours to allow it to set up. This will make it easier to slice and serve.
You can use any boxed brownie mix! If you love deep flavors, then choose a dark chocolate mix. However, fudgy or cake-like brownies are just as delicious. Choose varieties with add-ins like chocolate chips for extra crunch.
More Fun Brownie Recipes
- Peanut Butter Cheesecake Brownies
- Buckeye Brownies
- Samoas Brownies
- Oreo Brownies
- Rainbow Chip Brownies
Do you love a recipe you tried from Inside BruCrew Life?
Please leave a 5-star ⭐️ rating and then a review in the comments section below.
*This post was first shared in January 2012. It was updated and then republished in January 2024.