Jazz up your taco Tuesday with Crispy Fish Tacos. In less than 30 minutes you can have battered fish, sweet and spicy coleslaw, and cheese all wrapped in a warm tortilla. This easy fish tacos recipe will satisfy all your taco cravings.
Crispy Fish Tacos
Tacos are one of our favorite dinner staples. They are easy to make, great with shells or salad, and everyone loves them. Every once in a while I like to change things up and use fish instead of our normal beef. There is just something about fish tacos that makes you feel like you are at the beach.
These are some of the easiest fish tacos you will ever make. To save time on dinner prep on busy nights, I buy boxes of SeaPak beer battered cod from our grocery store. All you have to do is place the pieces on a sheet pan and bake. Easy, peasy.
One thing that I really enjoy on baked fish tacos is some type of homemade slaw or this Homemade Peach Salsa. Something about the cold fresh ingredients and hot crispy fish is so satisfying and delicious.
Since our youngest son loves spicy food, I made a Sriracha fish taco sauce and added it to coleslaw this time. Adding a can of pineapple tidbits gave these easy fish tacos a great sweet and spicy flavor.
Most of the ingredients for these crispy fish tacos are simple and easy to find in the grocery store. Prep the slaw and dressing ahead of time, so you can get dinner on the table faster.
- Battered Fish - you can find beer battered cod in the freezer section of most grocery stores
- Tortillas - a 6 inch flour or corn shell works the best for these fish tacos.
- Spicy Slaw - diced red pepper, cilantro, honey, lime juice, sriracha, and ranch dressing jazz up this bagged coleslaw recipe.
- Pineapple - using crushed or tidbits works best because of the size. You could also dice fresh pineapple if you like.
- Cheese - we like using crumbled Queso fresco cheese, but any shredded cheese will be good on these fish tacos.
Healthy Option: Use plain baked fish and make fish taco bowls using cauliflower rice and the rest of the ingredients.
Other Topping Ideas
- Avocados - sliced or diced into chunks
- Black Beans - drain and rinse well
- Pickled Onions
- Lime Juice - cut limes into wedges
- Diced Cilantro
- Jalapenos - make sure to remove the seeds when dicing
How to make Crispy Fish Tacos
Step One: Make Slaw
- Dice a red pepper and some cilantro.
- Stir them into a bag of coleslaw mix.
- Whisk together vinegar, honey, ranch dressing, Sriracha, and lime juice to make a spicy coleslaw dressing. Pour it over the veggies and toss until everything is coated.
- Stir in the drained pineapple and season to taste with salt and pepper.
BRUCREW TIP: Refrigerate the coleslaw for at least an hour, so that the flavors have time to mix together.
Step Two: Bake the Fish
- Place the frozen fish on a sheet pan.
- Bake the battered fish pieces according to package directions.
Step Three: Serve
- Warm the tortillas in a hot skillet or on a grill for 10 seconds per side.
- Place a piece of baked fish on a tortilla shell.
- Top it off with slaw, cheese, and cilantro.
Make it a Full Meal
A few of these easy fish tacos with slaw is a pretty filling meal, but we always like to have a few extra things out for our taco dinners. Here are some of our favorites.
- Chips and Easy Homemade Salsa
- Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Spicy Guacamole
- Hot Corn Dip
- Yogurt Dessert Cups (with fruit salsa)
- Coconut Patties (made with key lime & dipped in chocolate)
- Lime Slushie
More Easy Taco Recipes
*The post for Crispy Sriracha Ranch Tacos was first published October 26, 2017. The post was updated and republished April 27, 2021.